Sunday 21 April 2013

The operation - On reflection

Now that I am back home we have been reflecting on what could have been

When discussing the op with the anaesthetist and then the consultant there was a huge list of possible actions and procedures that may have had to be done

There was talk of tracheotomy, central feeding line, arterial line, overnight intubation and sedation
Even removal of part of my leg fat to patch up/graft inside my head incase they punctured something they shouldn't

I was asked if I was happy to sign acceptance to all this. Half hour before going down to surgery !

Im glad I did not know any of this prior to the day as i would have been a lot more concerned

In the end thankfully none of that has been needed.  The operation was done through the nasal passage

I woke up with only a drip in my arm and an urinary catheter.  Two tubes when it could have been 6 !

My concern now is that they were not able to remove everything in the op they did

A new MRI has been done the day after the surgery.  It is being checked out and I will be meeting the consultant on Tuesday to discuss it

If there are any remaining "lumps" I will need further surgery from a different entry point.  Which could mean a bigger op with all the issues as mentioned above

If there is only a few small bits left this will be taken care of probably by Proton beam therapy radiation therapy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name so we know who commented. Thanks