Monday 22 July 2013

First Proton Treatment

Today was the first of my 42 visits to the UFPT for my Proton beam treatment

I saw the doctor first who showed me the images of my head and the area they were going to zap

At about 1pm I went to the treatment room

There are 3 treatment rooms. In the treatment room there is a gantry. On the gantry is solid plank made of kevlar which is where you lie on before being put in the machine
I am in the red gantry room

This link gives a good 360 degree view of the treatment room http://www.floridaproton.org/sites/default/files/vofimgs/Treatment_Room.mov
Use your arrow keys or mouse to move the image around.  Takes a while to load

You lie down on this kevlar plank.  The only cushioning is single cotton sheet
My head rested in a cradle.  The mask was fitted and clipped to the cradle
A foam rest was laid under my knees for a bit of comfort


As it was my first treatment there were loads of people checking and marking the areas on my mask that the proton nozzle aligned with. These were the areas I was to be zapped

I had a total of 6 zaps at different points around my head
As it was the first sitting I was there for over an hour in the machine

Afterwards I felt a little traumatised.  A bit of after shock for a few hours after the treatment

I will try and explain how it all felt once I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name so we know who commented. Thanks