Wednesday 25 September 2013

And so the past to the future. It all starts afresh

Its been a week since my final Proton Therapy treatment
Its taken a long time to get to this stage since my original diagnosis in February

There have been some big up and downs along the way

I have kept this blog as a form of diary to myself as well as information for relatives and friends who I hope have found useful
It is difficult to remember times and dates of the various events so the blog has been my memory prompt

There are are lot of people to thank who have helped and supported me through this period
The NHS have generally been great with a few exceptions
The GP surgery unfortunately took way longer than they should have to realise that my repeated visits to them need further investigation. Eventually I was sent to the hospital for further investigation
The hospital investigations revealed I had a Clival Chordoma
Whilst undergoing treatment at Addenbrooke's Hospital I found the consultants, surgeons and most of the nursing staff were very good. Although my nursing care after my second operation was below par

Work were understanding.  I was under the threat of redundancy just before my first op so was worried that I would soon not have a job. I was advised day before op that my job was secure

From the very beginning of the consultations with the neuro team there was mention of Proton Therapy.  Much depended on the surgery outcome as to whether I could even be considered for this treatment

After the surgeries and whilst recovering I was put forward and accepted for treatment in Jacksonville Florida at the University of Florida proton centre.  We had 2 weeks to pack up and leave the UK for the best part of three months

The difficult decision was what to do with the children.  Our youngest boys James and Joshua would be finishing their primary school and starting their secondary school in the period we would be away. Our eldest Thomas would be starting his final yr
After much heartache we decided this was a critical period in their schooling and to miss these periods of school would be tough
Also what would they do in Jacksonville ?.  With me off to treatment every day they would have a lot of bored time.  Luckily we had the help of my sisters Clare and Anne who shared the bulk of care for the boys.  Also thanks to Andy, Kelly and gang. Sue and Dave. My nephew Matthew and Niece Rachel and of course my mum who all did their bit in looking after the boys
We had many many offers of help and we appreciate the kindness of you all

And so to Proton
The kindness and professionalism of all the staff at the proton centre was amazing.  They put a lot of effort to make it a community we were encouraged to join in and take part if we wanted to
We enjoyed the events we attended and the things we did ourselves - we needed to keep busy
We ganged up with a group of fellow patients and careres mainly from The UK
Many thanks to those fellow Brits (you know who you are) we meet who helped to make our time in Jacksonville easier.  We had good times with them.  We already miss you and good luck with your journeys

And so to the future.  It all starts afresh.  I will be having scans periodically to ensure no regrowth. They say if there is no change for 5 yrs I am cured.  Ill drink to that


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name so we know who commented. Thanks